Give your laundry a green make-over – with Soapberries, Sal Suds and Essential Oils
Many of us are gaining an increasing awareness of the many harsh chemicals contained in our household products. This is particularly true when it comes to the laundry. Often something triggers our need to find natural alternatives, such as a skin reaction, a new baby, a quest to go low-tox or to save money. Whatever your reason ByMe has a select range of quality products that are all you need to give your laundry a green makeover.
That Red House Soapberries 500g
Soapberries (aka soapnuts)
Soapberries are a natural alternative to traditional laundry detergent and fabric softener. ‘That Red House’ soapberries are they only ones on the market that are ‘Certified Organic’.
They are often called ‘soapnuts’, but they are not nuts at all. They are in fact a fruit! The shell is exceptionally high in ‘saponin’ which is nature’s soap. This saponin reduces the surface tension of the water to remove dirt and leave fabrics, soft and clean.
Soapberries (or soapnuts) are naturally hypo-allergenic so they are perfect for those with allergies or sensitive skin. Perfect for babies and children as they are extremely gentle yet effective.
100% waste free, our ‘That Red House’ soapberries are certified organic unlike traditional soaps and detergents which contain a cocktail of chemicals, which reside in clothing fibres and can be absorbed into the skin.
How to use soapberries?
- Simply add 5 whole shells (or equivalent) to the provided wash bag, and throw it in the machine… it’s that simple!
- Each set of shells will do approx 5 wash loads, depending on water temperature and wash cycle, etc.
- Soapberries perform well in cold water but if you have a particularly dirty load, turn up the temperature on your machine to draw more soap out of the berries.
Dr. Bronner’s Sal Suds
Dr. Bronner’s Sal Suds Liquid Cleaner is not a soap but instead is a concentrated all-purpose cleaner. It is made with plant-based surfactants and natural fir needle and spruce essential oils (no cheap, harsh pine stump oil), without any synthetic dyes, fragrances or preservatives. Sal Suds is perfect for general household cleaning (dishes, floors etc.), and it also makes a fabulous laundry liquid. It cleans and rinses with exceptional power, yet it is mild and gentle on the skin. Sal Suds Liquid Cleaner is equally effective in hard or soft water and rinses freely in hot or cold. It is 100% cruelty-free, as certified by the Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics, and it will biodegrade rapidly after doing its job.
How to use Sal Suds in the laundry?
Add 1/4 of a cup to your load as usual. It is gentle enough to use on your delicates.
Natural Stain Remover
- Add a 1/4 cup of Sal Suds to a 500ml ByMe amber glass spray bottle.
- Top with water, close and shake gently.
- When sorting laundry, spray any stains with your Sal Suds mix. Ok to leave a few hours, or even a day, until the next wash.
- If it is a tough stain use Sal Suds straight on the stain and rub/brush in with a tooth brush.
There are so many uses for essential oils in the laundry. I tend to use the reliable trio of lemon, tea tree and lavender. Add a few drops of lemon to the load when washing your sheets for a beautiful fresh smell. Use tea tree for its cleansing properties or add a few drops of lavender to a small cloth and add to the dryer to give your load a beautiful scent.
To start your laundry’s green makeover visit the ByMe store.